Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Flipping Eggs in Pantry

My Pantry class started the quarter with demonstrations on fried eggs, omelets, crepes, waffles, pancakes and all kinds of breakfast foods. We all enjoyed it and the tastings that went along with it.

I hit a snag on fried egg day. We all were shown how to flip fried eggs into the air to land on the opposite side for over easy, over medium, etc. We were then given our own opportunity to practice the "over" part.

When it was my time to practice, I walked over with my fried eggs in the pan and wanted to practice flipping over the trash can. I'd rather have a mess there than over an open flame with broken egg yolk running and sizzling on the cast iron-- a mess to clean. Only I didn't make it to the trash can. Chef started chastizing me "Dallas! Act like a Professional! You come over here to the burner and do that!" She obviously had more faith in me than I had in myself.

Sure enough she was right. I gave it my best effort and egg flipped right on over. The trick I learned after my successful attempt is to get them to land flat and not folded under. Eventually for the practical my yolks broke. My luck was poorly timed.

No comments:

Post a Comment