Monday, February 15, 2010

No more chicken! Hollandaise again?!?!

This past weekend I spent going through dry runs of my practical menus. I wasn't too stressed about the exam until doing this. There is a lot of work!! I have one weekend left to practice some more and then it's show time. Yikes!!

Saturday was my roasting menu. I cooked for four, including myself, and made cream of broccoli soup, roasted chicken with pan gravy and white bean ragout. I also had some remaining chicken consomme that I served as a palate opener. The dinner provided me opportunity to practice my serving skills as well. As a left hander, some of the 'all right' practices confuse me. Luckily, I was well trained from my mother in table setting so that part is easy.

Sunday's dinner was fairly successful. I made a poached grouper with shrimp in a vin blanc sauce. The sauce was really tasty, but too thin. I added a slurry at the end but it ruined the taste. I either added too much or didn't allow it to cook out. Either way, it was a bad move.

The side of duchesse potatoes were a mild success. I had difficulty getting them to brown on top. Finally I got tired of waiting and turned on the broiler. Good thing I did because I don't think the potatoes needed to cook any longer.

My practice continued the next weekend. It was supposed to keep going on Sunday night too, but by then I was over it and exhausted. Plus my husband and I were and are so tired of chicken. I served filets with bearnaise sauce on this day and a puree of lentil soup.

I used red lentils instead of green for variety and color. I didn't know they cook much quicker however. All the sudden all the lentils were floating and I hadn't even added my sachet d'epices! My guests didn't seem to notice however.

Without cleaning, shopping and cooking all day I felt like I actually had a weekend, a tiny one. It was over too soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment