Saturday, October 3, 2009

Chef really are nice folk!

originally posted August 20, 2009

I’ve been lucky to have so many recent opportunities to meet several well-known and not so well-known chefs this year. Many kitchen-outsiders who are only exposed to the cooking worlds of network television see “Top Chef,” “Chopped,” and “Hell’s Kitchen” see only the unpleasant side of many chef personalities (and I’m guessing sensationalized).

Guess what? That’s really not what chefs are like- even the ones on those shows. They are nice people, interested in your aspirations, funny, and easy with which to converse. They’re NORMAL.

My first exposure was at the Culinary Institute of Art in Hyde Park, NY where I participated in a week long boot camp. I walked into the building where my class was to meet. Everyone in the class had on their chef coats. I didn’t own a chef coat so obviously wasn’t wearing one. Youser! An out of place moment.

The participants were grouped and I was directed to a new classroom. In route I heard “Yes, Chef!” as I passed some students already at work in the kitchen. My fear of the unknown grew inside me. I was getting more and more nervous that an entire week of BOOT CAMP meant I would circle the campus 3 times while carrying a 14″ cast iron frying pan above my head, likely a punishment for conducting some type of kitchen faux pas.

My class/chef instructor was friendly and knowledgeable. He taught us much culinary knowledge in the week I attended CIA. At the moment I saw him running across the kitchen I knew instantly I was not to be pre-cooking my ravioli stuffing. Here comes my lap around campus with the frying pan. Luckily, that didn't happen. I was merely corrected and redirected. My ravioli was then the subject of class praise for it produced a dalliscious and beautiful dish. Thanks Chef Ainsworth!

My second exposure included prepping food for an 80-guest chef-hosted event. The recipes were selected by the chef and she provided insight on shopping for and preparating the dishes. I worked with a team of several culinary professionals all day creating sauces, slicing and dicing. At many steps we wondered if we were appropriately following the directions, browning to the correct level, etc. No one knew what to expect once the chef arrived. Once she did, it was nearly all praise. Where there was criticism it was well communicated, not harshly spat in our faces. The event was a great success and I left feeling very appreciative I was able to work with such a lovely person. I thought “they can’t all be so poised.” Thanks Corinne!

I’ve also worked in commercial kitchens where the Executive Chef has bent over backwards to make my work as simple as possible, offering ingredients, equipment and services. Working with such generous people makes the day go by like a dream. Thanks Chef Bowen!

The chefs with which I’ve worked have also been very appreciative of the work I provide. During events they thank me for my service and usually provide me with some type of takeaway. My culinary mates tell me to get ready however- they aren’t all like that at school. I’m ready… bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment